I am a sole trader operating as Louise Pearce / Refine Fiction / Pearce Proof. I offer copyediting and proofreading services to clients worldwide.
This policy describes the information I collect, how I use it, store it and protect it.
If you are asked to provide information, it will only be used in ways stated in this policy.
What information do I collect from you?
I collect the following minimal information:
- contact postal address
- email address
- project details, e.g. word count, type of project, timescale
Why do I collect data from you?
I collect and use minimal information about you in order to:
- respond to your requests for information, e.g. my availability or a quote for copyediting/proofreading services
- allow me to contact you while an editing project is ongoing
- enable certain functions on my website
- better understand how visitors use my website
How do I use this data?
The data I collect is used:
- to contact you in response to your enquiry or quote
- to record your agreement to the terms and conditions of my copyediting/proofreading services
- for my own accounting processes, e.g. so I can invoice you
- to allow me to comply with HMRC for taxation purposes.
I will never use this data for marketing or promotion purposes without getting your permission in writing first, e.g. to publish your testimonial on my website.
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer’s hard drive. It enables my website to identify your computer as you view different pages on my website.
Cookies do not provide me with access to your computer or any information about you other than that which you elect to share with me.
To learn more about cookies, visit About Cookies.org.
To read Google’s privacy statement, and how you can request that I remove your information from my analytics data, see Google’s data privacy policies and approach and its data processing terms here.
How do I collect your personal data?
I collect and store minimal information via the following:
- Email via Microsoft Outlook (see Microsoft’s data privacy policies here).
I will never lease, distribute or sell your information to third parties unless you give me written permission to do so, or I am required to do so by law.
You can ask me to remove your data at any time.
How do I store your personal data?
The minimal information I collect is stored on the following data servers:
How long do I keep your data for?
Because many of my clients work with me more than once, I do not delete data unless specifically requested to do so.
HMRC requires me to keep records for ‘at least 5 years after the 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year’. See https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-records/how-long-to-keep-your-records.
Please contact me if you want me to delete or amend your records. I will action your request immediately as long as I remain compliant with HMRC’s legal requirements.
With whom is your data shared?
No one, unless you request that I do so in writing, or my business is selected by HMRC for audit.
If you have any questions or requests for removal of your data, you are welcome to email me at email@example.com