Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions are designed so that we have a clear and honest understanding in the way we can work together. If you have any concerns or queries at all, please get in touch so that I can provide reassurance.
These terms and conditions apply to any work done for you (the Client) by me (Louise Pearce).
- I will provide an editorial service as mutually agreed by myself and the Client, and confirmed in writing.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- The work will be carried out by me, unsupervised at such times and places as determined by myself, using my own equipment.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and national insurance contributions and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees. I am not VAT registered.
- The Client agrees to send the project in its entirety, as a single document. Once I have received the project from the Client, no further changes can be made to the project by the Client.
- The Project Agreement requires that both the Client and I acknowledge in writing that we have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
Prior to commencement of the project, the Client and I will agree, in writing, to the terms of the Project Agreement which will include:
- the word count of the project
- the medium in which the project will be carried out (e.g. Microsoft Word, PDF or on paper)
- the method of annotation (e.g. Track Changes in Microsoft Word, annotation in a PDF or BSI correction symbols on paper)
- the length of time required to complete the project, as advised by me
- the fee for the project which I will provide as a quotation, in writing, based on my evaluation of a sample of the work and the timeframe required to complete the project
- any reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work (e.g. postage, ink)
- the date on which I will receive the project from the Client
- the latest date the project will be returned to the Client, following my advice to the Client.
- If, however, on receipt of the project to be worked on or at an early stage it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
Fees and Invoices
- I will provide a quotation for the project, in writing, after I have assessed a sample of the work and discussed the requirements with the Client.
- The Client will pay me a fee per hour OR per thousand words OR an agreed flat fee for the job.
- Once agreed, this fee is non-negotiable. If, however, the Client extends the word count or requests additional tasks, a revised quotation and project completion date will be negotiated.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the Project Agreement and the brief supplied by the Client.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, I will supply the Client with an invoice upon return of the completed project. All payments will be made via bank transfer.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 21 days of receipt of my invoice, in accordance with the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- If the fee for the project comes to more than £200, I ask for a non-refundable deposit of 30% of the total project fee.
- Deposit payments are due upon receipt of the Deposit Invoice.
- The agreed project schedule will not be fixed until the deposit amount is received.
- Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract at any time if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- The Client may cancel a service for any reason by providing me with written notice (including email). I must acknowledge the cancellation request in writing for this to be valid.
- The Client will be obligated to pay a fee proportionate to the amount of work already completed (if any) if this is larger than the deposit paid.
- If the Client is touched by extraordinary circumstances that cause cancellation or delay (e.g. illness, family crisis, bereavement etc.) the Client should contact me to discuss the terms of the cancellation policy.
- If I am touched by similar extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay, I will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity and do my best to renegotiate the timeframe of the project or find an alternative provider of editorial services. The deposit will be refunded.
Liability and Copyright
- All content I receive for the project is owned by the Client.
- In this respect, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.
- On payment of my invoice, any content created by me as part of the project will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
- I will do my utmost to ensure all files are correct and free from errors; however, I can offer no guarantee of this.
Confidentiality and Data Protection
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- I will not under any circumstances upload the Client’s files to external websites or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorised to do so, in writing, by the Client.
This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both I and the Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.